Child Passport Instructions

Follow these simple steps to apply for a Child Passport

American children 15-years-old or younger must hold a US child’s passport in order to travel internationally. Parents or legal guardians must obtain a passport on behalf of a child. Every five years children must re-apply for a new child’s passport until they are old enough to obtain an adult passport.

  1. Purchase Child Passport on

    Select the service that best meets your travel needs and purchase your child’s expedited passport.

  2. Complete Passport Wizard

    govWorks wizard interface on Macbook

    Once you’ve made your purchase you will then be redirected to the govWorks secure platform where you will create an account and complete the passport application on your child’s behalf using our intuitive wizard.

  3. Gather Required Items

    After you complete the online wizard our govWorks platform will generate an application containing all the necessary information you need to mail to our processing center. It’s very important that you print the documents single sided as double sided copies will not be accepted.

    Checklist of Requirements:

    1. Passport Application (DS-11): This application will be automatically generated from our platform.
    2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship: See list of examples
    3. Proof of parents Identity: See list of examples
    4. Proof of relationship to parents: See list of examples
    5. Passport Photo: See sample picture
    6. Proof of Travel: A travel itinerary or business letter that indicates that you are traveling within 2 weeks (or 4 weeks if you need a travel visa). If you have not made travel plans and don’t have a proof of itinerary, don’t worry, we can help you obtain an alternative document.
    7. Government Fee: An additional check or money order payable to "US Department of State” is required for all orders. The exact amount can vary from $160 to $190 depending on the type of passport application. Once you place your order, the platform will instruct you on the exact amount of the check and how to write it out.
    8. Letter of Authorization: We will provide you with a Letter of Authorization which allows us to process your passport on your behalf. You must sign and date two copies of this document, preferably using blue ink, and include one of them inside of the sealed envelope and the other outside of the sealed envelope before you send us your documents.

    Important: Both parents and the child must visit the Passport Acceptance Agent together. However, because you are applying for a passport on the behalf of a minor, there are several special circumstances that might arise where additional documentation is required.

    Special Circumstances

    • When one parent/legal guardian is not available at the time the passport is executed, a completed and notarized DS-3053 consent form must be included.
    • Form DS-5525 must be included if one parent/legal guardian is unavailable and cannot sign consent form DS-3053 when applying for a child’s passport.
    • If one parent has sole custody of a child they must provide legal documentation showing sole custody.
    • If neither parent is able to appear, a third party may apply for a child‘s passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.
    • If a child doesn‘t have a social security number, a signed and dated statement must be provided. The statement must say: “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: (Child‘s full name) has never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration."
  4. Visit a Passport Acceptance Agent

    After completing your passport application and collecting all the items from the checklist you must take it to a Passport Acceptance Agent (AA), who will review it and witness your signature. Passport Acceptance Agents are very common and easy to find in your area, they are usually located at US Post Offices or Courthouses.

    Find an Acceptance Agent

    Inform the Acceptance Agent that you are using an expediting service to "Hand Carry" your passport application to the government for processing.

    The AA will then:

    1. Ask you to sign the DS-11 (DS-5525, if applicable).
    2. Add his/her signature to the DS-11.
    3. Check your ID.
    4. The agent will collect all of your supporting documents and seal them into an envelope with the signed DS-11 Form using an official seal or stamp.

    Important: Make sure the (AA) returns the sealed envelope to you so that you can mail it directly to OnlineExpeditors. Send the sealed envelope to OnlineExpeditors as soon as it is sealed. The seal on the envelope expires after four business days.

  5. Ship us your passport application package using FedEx

    • Please contact your assigned Customer Satisfaction Representative to quickly go over your documents before you ship them to us and to get your pre-paid Fedex shipping label.
    • Write applicant’s first and last name, date of birth, and date of departure on the sealed envelope.
    • Place the sealed envelope in a FedEx envelope.
    • The second copies of your supporting documents and DS-11 form should be placed in the FedEx envelope alongside (but separate from) the sealed envelope. This allows us to review everything for accuracy before delivering your application for processing. Submitting error free documentation will eliminate delays.
    • Ship the FedEx envelope to our office using the FedEx label provided by

    As soon as the passport is ready, we will pick it up from the government office and immediately FedEx it to you. If you have any questions, feel free to call us anytime at (800) 224-4154.

Start your expedited passport application now.
Start my application