Proof of Relationship Requirements

American children 15-years-old or younger must hold a US child’s passport in order to travel internationally. Parents or legal guardians must obtain a passport on behalf of a child. Every five years children must re-apply for a new child’s passport until they are old enough to obtain an adult passport.

Please provide ONE of the following forms of evidence of child's relationship to Parent(s) or Legal Guardian(s):

  • Official US Birth Certificate of your child
    (with parent's names)
  • Original Court Order Establishing Guardianship
  • Original Court Order Establishing Custody
  • Original Adoption Decree
    (with adopting parents' names)
  • Form FS-240 or Form DS-1350
    (with adopting parents' names)
  • Foreign Birth Certificate
    (with adopting parents' names)

Note: If one or both of the parents' names have changed since the issuance of the child's birth certificate or other proof of relationship, legal evidence of the parent's name change must be presented, such as marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s), court documents, etc.

Start your expedited passport application now.
Start my application