Proof of Citizenship Requirements

The following documents can serve as proof of U.S. citizenship:

  • 5-year or 10-year US Passport
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate
  • Naturalization Certificate

Note: damaged passports or hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable evidence of citizenship.

If you were born outside the United States, you may provide one of the following as a primary proof of U.S. citizenship:

  • Certified copy of the final U.S. adoption decree;
  • Child's foreign passport with U.S. visa and USCIS I-551 stamp (or with the child's permanent resident alien card/green card); AND
  • Proof of identity of adopting parent(s)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

In addition, if you were born outside the United States, you may also provide the following as secondary forms of proof of citizenship:

  • Proof of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent, AND
  • An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth. (Depending on the year of your birth, there are minimum U.S. residency requirements for your U.S. parent for the years preceding your birth.)

Note: The documents listed above are considered secondary proof of U.S. citizenship. The U.S. Department of State reserves the right to request additional information and documentation. Each application is handled on a case-by-case basis.

Start your expedited passport application now.
Start my application